View Thread
Point Defense Systems » General Discussions and Writings » Officers' Lounge
 Print Thread
What if they made Homeworld 3...
Ironwatsas
Now, I know how unlikely it is, given Sierra's status with THQ, that Relic aquires the Homeworld lisence, and I know that Relic lacks the guidence of Alex Garden and others, but what If by some miracle of Legal wizardry, Relic secretly aquired the HW lisence and produced another game of the Series?

Moreover, what would this Mean for PDS?

I'd like to start speculating on what HW3 and PDS-II would look like if they ever made anothe Homeworld, What would you want to see in a complately new itteration of the HW-PDS universe?

I know that without even conformed existance, this thread is about vague speculation, but maybe, just maybe, it will end up benafiting us in the future...

SRI-Sajuuk
yes, i have specualted on this as well. Its could spell disaster if the game engine was completly changed. (No subsystems).
Containment protocols enabled...

Komo val
Well PDS II will nececarilly depend on the new stuff implemented in HW3. That, again, depends on the creative choices that are going to be implemented. Personaly I would love to see fuel, drones and external docking back in and especially the combat that revolves around giant megaliths that should have been implemented in the original HW2.

Needless to say those options would be only beneficial to PDS. The fuel alone will add a new tactical depth. But it is all speculation.

SRI-Sajuuk
yeah, i agree with Komo Val, external docking, fuel and drones need to be implemeted.

DoubleForte
Well, PDS as it stands is like HW3 but if Relic magically did go for it, PDS would depend completely on what was implemented into the engine, or if it was an entirely new engine.

SRI-Sajuuk
Thats the kicker. If they really change the game, we are screwed, to a degree a mean.

Elukka
Well, i'd imagine a very extensive rework of PDS would be needed.

Relic might have the license. I mean, come on, they slapped the Relic and THQ logos on a HW2 screenshot. I doubt you can do that if you don't own the license.

SRI-Sajuuk
Yeah, big time, i thinks that lawsuit territory.

TelQuessir
Someday a sci-fi RTS/RPG hybrid would appear, with high attention to detail in starship systems and semi Newtonian tactical combat, technological evolution, extremely high cultural diversity in the game world and a campaign so vivid in detail you'd take a year to finish the game.

Then I'll just sit back, smile and say the idea is 50 years old.

So, really, there's not much point to dreaming about a HW3 if human ingenuity can come up with a similar, mythically inspired science fiction story that plays out in the guise of modern naval warfare.

noodle
Well aware I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but you guys do know that Relic has the HW license again yes? No announcement as of yet, but really now, if they haven't been quietly working on it since the day after they got word from THQ, than I'm a fraking Cylon.

Also, just to prove I'm not spreading unfounded rumors: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6182452.html
Haruhi is my God(dess).

Homdax
Yes we know. And its been discussed a lot at RB.
king-o'da'bigfile

noodle
Well, ok than. Um...anyone want cake?

Seriously though, here's to hoping they get it right this time. 3rd times the charm and whatever. Even if it is the 4th HW game...
Haruhi is my God(dess).

Homdax
2 by Relic, one by Barking Dog and 3Grin...DUm di DUM! By THQ (via Relic)? Bump
king-o'da'bigfile

Homdax
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Cake_with_rose.jpg
king-o'da'bigfile

noodle
Sweet! Cake!

Actually, the 3rd should be by the Relic staff, since THQ owns them. Unless they do a stupid move and give the game to another developer, ala Activision and various non-Infinity Ward Call of Duty games.
Haruhi is my God(dess).

TelQuessir
Chocolate....mmm

aspasticninja
well, i think everyone would be happy to know that as of November of 2007, THQ (current owners of Relic) own the rights to Homeworld. This, if you can't figure it out, greatly increases the chances of a Homeworld 3 coming out. Cheers:beer:

aspasticninja
http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/thq-picks-up-homeworld-rights-318681.php <--- link i meant to post

aspasticninja
Ah, it would see that someone beat me to it. Sorry i brought it back up, i only skimmed the thread.

TelQuessir
Don't worry, you can have the cake.

Jump to Forum