View Thread
Point Defense Systems » General Discussions and Writings » Officers' Lounge
 Print Thread
homeworldwiki
Homdax
I am setting up www.homeworldwiki.net

It could have been KarosGraveyard or TanisShipyard, but instead of using generic Lore names in the domain (that have inherent game associations), I prefer to use them for SECTIONS of the wiki. Hence we will end up with a section for HW2 modding called Tanis Shipyard, another for HW1 modding called Research Station etc...

Or will we?

Open for input on the section names. As far as I understand it we could work with this structure (names to be suggested):
+ Tanis Shipyard (HW2)
- Classic
- Remastered

+ Resarch Station (HW)
- Classic
- Remastered

+ The Mine (HW:C)

Of course there will be LOADS of common content but that would go directly under the main section, things that differ, under sub sections.

Input?

(On a sidenote, I prefer to bring this up here, not to hide it in anyway, but because I feel you guys have an awesome insight in the lore and may help me with this).
Edited by Homdax on 26-03-2015 08:56
king-o'da'bigfile

Sun Tzu
The names sound fine to me.

I have filled a few blanks on Mikail's wiki and then stopped when I saw Sastrei was starting the same effort on another wiki.

Will that be a 3rd or is there a consensus to consolidate the efforts?

Tbh I am a bit puzzled by the state of community. It seems to be more split than 8 years ago.

Homdax
There is no consensus. I have talked to the homeworld.wikia guys and they are not in for a move. The only thing I can do, and are doing, is to provide a better platform with, given time, more info.

I am not even a stranger to add most fanfiction. Permissions allowed...

Considering Dokuwiki for this, but i am open for suggestions.
king-o'da'bigfile

Ironwatsas
I've been wanting a proper wiki for a while. Although I wanted something specific to PDS, a sort of "Janes Fighting Ships" with in-universe historical and technical information. I think that's what we were going to do a while ago.

I'll take what we can get though. I've been unable to find the old karos graveyard, with all the "how to mod HW2" info.

Homdax
While doing this Wiki, PDS (Mods) will have sections of it. I have not forgotten about PDS Wiki, but doing it this way there is less to administer in term of sites and systems.
king-o'da'bigfile

Homdax
temporary url until I update DNS: http://ainzmaa1.miniserver.com/~ww4ho...eworldwiki
Edited by Homdax on 29-03-2015 13:46
king-o'da'bigfile

Homdax
work has begun a bit, but namespaces is a bit of a riddle to me

learn new stuff...
king-o'da'bigfile

Homdax
more...

where do we have a slim horizontal HW2 logo...eh? Banghead
king-o'da'bigfile

Sun Tzu
What are you looking for? Just "Homeworld" in microgramma?

Homdax
I have contacted a friend that may help me with this...but I was looking for "HOMEWORLD 2" standalone text in a banner with small height 100-200 pixels, but due to the integration of the Angel Moon in the hw2 logo, I guess I will have to make a new one. Not an issue, just some time and work.
king-o'da'bigfile

Homdax
In front of my nose all along... from the fansite kit.
Homdax attached the following image:
hw2_colour_on_black_textlogo.jpg

king-o'da'bigfile

Sun Tzu
Easy enough to make in svg if that makes your life easier.

Homdax
Na its ok, it is just for the wiki, but then again I see many wikis has svg files, so here goes...ehmmm, how do you do an psd > svg conversion in PS CC? Ah well, there are conversion scripts..
king-o'da'bigfile

Sun Tzu
I do not know about converting to svg in Ps CC. This is the kind of visual that takes little time to make in Ai.

Homdax
fixing. anyhow... all input welcome about the wiki, I have not began styling yet, browsing useful plugins for now.
king-o'da'bigfile

Homdax
logo... still not friend with footer links... studying the css for changes

ainzmaa1.miniserver.com/~ww4homeworldwiki/lib/tpl/dokuwiki/images/logo.png
king-o'da'bigfile

Homdax
Can i have page name suggestions? Like
- hw2 / lua editing
- hwc /guide for pickaxe miners
- hw1 / commisioning a shipyard with lego

I mean, where do I start... basic tech info is one thing, getting game to run, intro to lua, intro to hod... mucho stuff I know little about.
king-o'da'bigfile

Sun Tzu
What do you intend to do? Do you want to replicate the old hw2wiki?

Homdax
Not without permission, in any case the info is pretty much available to anyone, but I know to little about modding to set up a reasonable structure.
king-o'da'bigfile

Sun Tzu
To be honest I do not really have the time or motivation to structure a new wiki. I can fill an entry when I have some time to kill at work, but designing pages is too much for me. I prefer using my hw modding time to 'remaster' ships and work on mod scripts.

Jump to Forum