View Thread
Point Defense Systems » Point Defense Systems Remastered Project » Point Defense Systems 2 R&D Lab
 Print Thread
Pieces Parts
Ironwatsas
I had a thought. In times past, we've gone nuts with kitbashing things (v.11 gives us a bunch of crazy Taiidan Ships made from mashed-together Vaygr Destroyers, and a double-barreled Vaygr Shipyard full of Dreadnaughts). However, nightmarish as those may be, they've given me a thought.

What if we created a big bunch of relatively simple parts, components, and bits designed specifically to be mixed and matched for various cosmetic changes to a ship/station/etc? Building blocks, modular weapon stations, structural trusses, solar panels, wingy bits, antennae, hacked up pieces of vanilla ships, and other assorted gubbinz and know-wots. Bits that can be made relatively quickly.

My thought being, if we have a large inventory of parts to work with, we can be a lot more flexible with adjusting the appearance of a given ship if we decide we want to make a distinct subclass, or something like a quick space station for a scenario or map of some kind. Things that would look somewhat better than entire ships mashed together without any changes to the model.

Thoughts?

Berrik
That actually happened in the original PDS! You may have noticed that the flechette cannons and missile pods from the Vaygr defence platforms got kitbashed onto just about EVERYTHING. Same with the little turret from the Higaaran basic corvette.

Warman1
Could do, I have admittedly been quietly thinking about some group (Pirates perhaps? Maybe a new-age sort of Garden of Kadesh group attempting to live out in the Kaross Graveyard?) just kind of slapping stuff together to make what they can.

Ooooh, there are some ship models from one of the games' missions in the KG. I forget which one, might have been Cataclysm. It could be fun to slice that up and slap on some assorted other ships bits to it.

The only hazard I might caution against is purely aesthetic in nature. The Zuul from Sword of the Stars have this type of construction mythos. They just kinda slap ships together and I believe literally jam in less fortunate members of their species to act as glue between components (been a while since I reread their lore). And so their ships are described as being 100% non-standardized ships made of bits and bobs of all kinds of things. And yet....every ship of the same hull section loadout looks exactly the same.

Ironwatsas

That actually happened in the original PDS! You may have noticed that the flechette cannons and missile pods from the Vaygr defence platforms got kitbashed onto just about EVERYTHING. Same with the little turret from the Higaaran basic corvette.
Uhh..yes. I am aware of this.

I'm just suggesting we make a whole boatload of new parts to make our kit-bashes more interesting looking. Using gun turrets as ship parts (the Bloodhound Frigate, Merkavah Assault Ship, Thunderbolt IV, etc) looked neat. The Thunderer Corvette, Battle Barge, etc...not so much.

Now, I'm not really suggesting making the entire ship out of parts (though if you can and it looks good, sure go nuts!), but adding parts to use for detailing or major redesign.

I've been playing games like Kinetic Void and Kerbal Space Program where you basically have a bin of ship parts and you just build like that. Traditionally in Homeworld modding, the ships are unitary models. Some combination of the two might be effective.

Jump to Forum