View Thread
Point Defense Systems » General Discussions and Writings » Officers' Lounge
 Print Thread
Sins of a Solar Empire Vs Homeworld
aspasticninja
Recently, I started playing a game called Sins of a Solar Empire. My thinking was that it would be similar to Homeworld, except with some Civilization-esk management stuff. I was partially right, and for the most part I find the game enjoyable, except for one flaw that really bothers me after so much Homeworld, and that is the lack of vertical movement.

Now, I understand that the whole Z-axis thing was probably one of the reasons Homeworld never took off like say, Starcraft or Command and Conquer, but as a HW vet it is very annoying to not be able to move my ships around with a realistic amount of freedom.

Aside from that, it's a pretty fun game, if you like the conquering and managing planets stuff. I never really liked Civ, but luckily the planets tend to care for themselves more than the cities in Civ did. You still have to pay attention, because if a world at the edge of your territory doesn't like you very much its quite easy for an enemy to convince them to switch sides. Things like the phase jumps between planets add an interesting twist to the gameplay, as does having the branching tech tree (much like Tel is doing w/ PDS 12, you can choose to upgrade different weapons for different effects.)

I suppose the reason I brought this up was because I figured someone else here might have thought it looked interesting too. I know Bones said he didn't like it, and he does make a valid point about the long space between battles and the enemies running. Personally, I find it fun when I have a superior force to watch the buggers run home with my ships hot on their asses. But anyway, if anyone has actually read this far without stopping, I suggest you download the demo here: http://files.filefront.com/Sins+of+a+...einfo.html

Huh, did not mean to write that much...oh well.
Edited by aspasticninja on 03-07-2008 05:29
Ford, I don't mean to alarm you, but there are an infinite number of monkey's outside and they want us to go over their screenplay for Hamlet.

aspasticninja
huh, stupid link wont work... here's the url

http://files.filefront.com/Sins+of+a+...einfo.html
Edited by Homdax on 04-07-2008 14:29
Ford, I don't mean to alarm you, but there are an infinite number of monkey's outside and they want us to go over their screenplay for Hamlet.

Komo val
The one thing that bothers me is the unrealistic size of the celestial bodies. That and why the hell would you need to be near the sun to phase jump to another star system.

Homdax
The link do not work because + signs are in it. I forgot to mod that part back after last upgrade. Please copy paste meanwhile.
king-o'da'bigfile

Dafeaz
Sins held my attention for a while. It's a fun game, but I really can't get into a game too much without a single-player story mode. That being said, I'm holding out for patch 1.1 and the expansion.
http://www.nationstates.net/feazanthia

Resident forum lurker, no coding or modeling skills required!
Turnin' Battle Barges to swiss cheese and lookin' good doin' it.

Elukka
I can't get into it. I think this is because HW spoiled me with its space battles, Sins' are just so boring in comparison.

Komo val
Massive yes but spectacular no. In my opinion the battles lack dynamics (for the most part)

aspasticninja
Its too bad there's no way to somehow fuse the combat from HW into the planet conquering of Sins. That would be sick.

Komo val
Correction, that would by hyper-awesomely sick. However chances are that in the future someone will do exactly that. I hope.

B0nes
Yea, perhaps more flashy weaponry and bigger guns, like steady beams and such. Cause i notice that in the big battles you just get alot of those big bubble things and then you cant see anything.

And, like Aspasticninja said, im not a big fan of the game >.> and IMO Hw2 owns it.
May the PDS be with you.

Jump to Forum