View Thread
 Print Thread
Gravatic Weaponry
FinalSeraphim
god says:
Well, It's mainly what I meant, was creating a big enough explosion outside the ship to create a shockwave capable of damaging ships/fighters nearby.
god says:
A internally created Gravity device would obviously push ships away, but it'd kindof.. kindof be like blowing up a pop can as well.
god says:
My idea was to be more along the lines of the siege cannons effects when fired.
god says:
Rather than a magical inprobible magic gravity pusher that would in effect Push the ship infinitly to oblivion!
god says:
Gravity doesn't descriminate, remember that.
Vanya the White Witch says:
Hm
If your push is heavy enough it would destroy anyway
What I'm talking about is not pushing
Create a huge gravitic distortion and wham
god says:
Think of it this way, It's a shock wave, more or less.
god says:
And to do that, you'd have to create that around the ship
So you are saying it would be a SW
god says:
The only way to create a "Gravitic distortion" would be inside the ship, where enough power could be drawn
Right
god says:
However, That's flawed because gravity emmits in all directions.
So focused grav lenses are mroe practical tech
Thus a self destructing grav warhead
god says:
Thus, you'd either pull the ship inside itself to the power of 99999
god says:
Well, I was thinking of more realistic Field technology.
god says:
Where the focal point is outside the ship, creating a magnitized field that spread outwards from the ship itself.
Hm. That is HW universe canon
HS generator
Issue is, can't someone refine it to become a weapon?
god says:
Exactly.
god says:
You could, but it'd be mostly a pushing weapon lol
god says:
You use a HS generator to push into Slipspace.
Er cant push away something at 20km.s
god says:
You more or less create a usable tear.
Divert, yes, that's what I'm aiming
god says:
Well the idea wasn't to push things too far away
god says:
It was like the dreadnaut from hw:c
god says:
Push it far enough away.
Hey, stop, I got an idea
The issue is I don't want to push things away cos it won't work to save my ship 1km.s - 20 is still 19
But if I got barraging GRAV shells I can fire around the target
And the target gets kicked around by the flak blasts
god says:
Hmm...
To destruction
god says:
Well, the point of this wave was to disrupt and destroy Fighters
It would be fighters worst nightmare
god says:
To keep pesky bombers away from soft targets
Grav Pulse Weapon? GPW?
god says:
Now, there is another technology that'd be feasable for anti cap ships
god says:
Grav Torpedoes.
god says:
Fire one at a ship, it hits and distorts gravity, creating a short lived high gravity well, helping slower HGN ships to catch their fiesty prey.
Interdiction device
Okay, this one -could- work
Lasso a fast moving commerce raider to board and capture
god says:
Exactly.
god says:
It'd allow hiigy capships to overwhelm and destroy vaygr/taiidan fastships as well.
god says:
It'd give a poh a chance against a Liihira.. lol

This is the beginning of a new frontier for weaponry.
I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last... the beginning and your end.

FinalSeraphim
This is implied rather simply, We have the concept of a weapon, a weapon inside a torpedo that when the warhead is detonated, it creates a Gravitic Distortion, pulling anything in the area towards it. This allows ships to deal out even more damage than before.

The "Gravatic" Torpedo is designed to catch Smaller/Faster Ships for larger ships to engage and destroy. A torpedo that would detonate, creating a graivty well, thus pulling any ships in the effective radius towards it. Allowing say a Mahjiiran BBH to catch a player using a Liihira.

HisDivineShadow
in the star trek universe the borg were equipped with "gravimetric torpedos"
this sounds similar

how about this idea..."hyperspace bombs"
a compact hyperspace generator , such as one that could be installed on a vaygr hyperspace gate, fitted to power source and a propulsion system
the idea being it intercepts a target and generates a brief hyperspace window , say anywhere from 10 to 100 meters in size,thus anything in side this radius is pulled into hyperspace and effectively is destroyed..
i forsee such a device useful as a anti capship and anti frigate weapon, and perhaps also useful as a decoy device , generating false hyperspace events on an enemies sensors
Edited by HisDivineShadow on 12-10-2007 05:45

TelQuessir
The idea of grav weapons are that nukes are not very effective in space (they -are- effective actually, just inefficient) and grav weapons would be employed as area-interdiction artillery.

Imagine an Arbiter M5A firing all 6 AC275s at an incoming formation then whipping around on differential thrust to unmask the finishing SM4 salvo...

There will also be significant work being done on the Alessian star-nation. No more E, but an A, signifying that the concept is owned by someoen else now. Closest RL equivalent are the Turks who are a sum of many cultural influences.

Ancient Vaygr passed through Alessia on pilgrimages to the Galactic Core...

FinalSeraphim
Gravitic rounds, when imploded, create a small tear in hyperspace anyway, seeing as it bears alot of the same tech. Hyperspace calls for gravity to be projected so intensly in a certain point that a Blackhole more or less is formed, allowing the ships doing it to bypass laws of physics to reach a point of space faster than ever thought possible.

Gravity shells/warheads Would indeed have smaller Hyperspace tech inside of them, when the warhead is armed and impacts, it creates a small hyperspace gate only for a fraction of a second, as the shell implodes it reverses the effect and forces a premature collapse, causing a short lived but extremely powerful Gravitic flux at the target location, bending hullplating and ripping things apart more or less before it disspates.

Obviously, the larger the shell/warhead, the bigger the device that can be put inside. We will measure these shells as bombs are measured in real life. This will relate to how many LB's of pressure per Square meter is created.

A 100mm Arbiter cannon with a 10kg MKI G-shell will Absoltely destroy fighters in a range of 10m from impact, as the force it creates would pull them into themselves. Very strengthened hulls will do better to withstand shells of this type and seeing as their new, they wont be enmasse on the battlefield, but where ever they are... the enemy will sure know it.

HisDivineShadow
on the TV show Andromeda there was a race of aliens armed with gravity based weapons as well, something called AG Mass Packets
they were fired at a enemy ship and would increase its mass as a way of slowing it down so it couldnt maneuver..the only reason i see for such a weapon would be as a prelude to boarding, as the time would be better spent just destroying your enemy rather than slowing them down, in the middle of a battle why cripple your enemy when you can just rid yourself of him?

FinalSeraphim
High value targets? Targets that outrun your primary weaponry? If your foe is outside most of your weapons range but a gravatic torpedo can catch and slow it so you can bring all your hard hitting cannons to bear.. Plus it'd do tremendous damage, read the post above HDS, it wasn't meant primarily to slow down, it's just a helpful side effect.

Jump to Forum