View Thread
 Print Thread
Repulsor Waves
FinalSeraphim
Another magical thread!

The repulsor wave, seen in Cataclysm, is another awesome weapon developed by the hiigarans/Taiidanrepublic during that fun war. It'd be kindof amusing and fun perhaps to see the ability to build a Repgenerator on the largest of ships, like the Shipyard itself and maybe the two larges Cap ships, the flagCarrier and the BattleStar.

But rather than just saying, "that'd be cool." I am wondering if there would be any way to rationalize it being there in the first place.. I have the answer for that.

The vaygr are perhaps, the biggest user of strike craft, in many engagements vs friends.. they mass strike craft to great effect. Battlestar and mainline interceptor alike always falls to the massive array of fighters. It always requires immense tact to beat a Vaygr player who makes good use of wave after wave of cheap fighters, followed by precision use of bombers.. Now if the hiigarans (Who obviously have gravity mastered to an extent) were to find a way to create some sort of Shockwave from a ship, a gravitational one ofcourse. That'd be fascinating to see a Majiiran on its last legs activate one of those, killing most of the fighters nearby, friend or foe.. and ofcourse destroying the enemy bomber presance too.

Some would say this is unneccisary, but the hiigarans obviously place high value on capital ships, it's their thing.
I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last... the beginning and your end.

TelQuessir
Suggest packing it on a very powerful, intensely focused grav well generator. Someone boosted one system defense inhibitor and used it to distrupt SC formations in the Invasion War and the concept was further developed after the brave officer was awared the Cross of Kharak posthumously...

That means we will have to develop the hyperspace field generator based weapon system as well - HDS or QDS using hyperdrive tech to displace enemy projectiles, today will no longer be a defensive intercept unit but capable of offensive use as well. How would you implement these special weapons?

SRI-Sajuuk
Accually, it make more sense to put it on a battlecruiser that carrier a large power plant. Why waste money and resources making the same base tech and put it on a frigate when its already stock on a BC?

How woudl you implement it?

Well, FS, thats the kicker, the Hw2 engine isnt designed for stuff like that. Its one of those hardcoded things.

Komo val
One way is to implement a weapon with 0 damage and a large repulsion, although I don't know what parameter in the .wpn file controls that.

TelQuessir
Komo's tactic is the simplest and fastest to do, though anyhing that imparts that much acceleration to a target would cause massive physical damage.

SRI-Sajuuk
then we can jsut add damage....unless its magnetic replusion instead of Gravatic. then it would EMP it.

Jokr
In cataclysm, the repulsar moved any ship away from it, including other capitols. (I know, I just played a scrim with the CPU players on hard...I wasn't able to repulse even though I had studied the tech and upgraded the ship. Glitch?) Sounds to me like you would want to limit it to strike craft only. If so, how could you differentiate between a capitol and a strike ship?

FinalSeraphim
Well, It'd not just hit strike craft, You're talking about creating a gravitational distortion. Mass is what would effect movement so strike craft would either be destroyed or moved away depending on proximity, due to stress from opposing forces. Frigates and corvettes would be damaged depending on range and large ships, also depending on range would atleast be pushed back. All the ships would be pushes away depending on their proximity to the source. Ships closest to the edge of the maximum effect would only move a little if any, while frigates and such close to the event would probobly pass by the ships on the outest portion.

TelQuessir
An aritficially generated gravitic distortion won't aim to "repulse" anything. You'd rather, for the immense power spent, generate 2 "black holes" to bracket an approaching strike formation to disintegrate them and divert their torpedoes away from yourself.

Objects approaching at a realspace velocity of 20km/s will not get "repulsed" by anything,

Any weapon system in PDS has to be believable in science - and the mass or hyperspace distortion so far is much more feasible than a repulsor that should only exist in fantasy games Pfft

Komo val
As Tel said anything with the power to repulse a multi megaton starship would rip the said ship to pieces.

Artificially created gravitation distortions would be used to divert objects not to repulse them. Not a single known phenomenon known to physics or even a theoretical one could do that (unless of course you expand the fabric of space-time then yes it would repulse it without any physical damage, but come on).

FinalSeraphim
Well, I never meant like just repusling, I mean diverting or pushing the said object away, but in a sphere expanding from the central point. Think of it this way, you have a leaf in a pond. You throw a rock in the pond on the opposite end, It wont move the leaf, you throw a rock in next to it, it pushes it away. Something similar would be interesting.

SRI-Sajuuk
Blackholes? oh fuck no. You would only need a graviton generator to affect an objects Zero-point energy to move it.

Fantasy? Gravewell generators have a practical application. Try fireing a graviton down a cyclotron...rinse, repeat. You'll get enough repulsion there. That could create a space/time distortion wave, see also gravity wave, its when a star collapses, your sonic boom in a sense. So a graviton whipping around a cyclotron could create a "Sonic-Boom." hell if i recall, even light could do that. jsut on a smaller scale. better yet, get a heavy atom like urainium or plutonium and fire it around in there in Mass (alot of it) and you would get the atoms collapsing as they would do in a star. thus you get your gravatic pressure wave. Although getting a powerplant and a hull that would take that kind of abuse would be the bitch. however it is certanly NOT fantasy. I have read enough of Michio Kaku's Books and Superstring theorys to know.

Get the facts right first. Blackholes? wtf... :smash:

EDIT: look here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oRWwI61so5Q about 2 minutes in is the relative subject.
Edited by SRI-Sajuuk on 12-10-2007 04:24

TelQuessir
SRI just invented experimental graviton weapons based on RL research. Good work.

SRI-Sajuuk
Thank you. i do pride myself in idea fusions.

SRI-Sajuuk
i think we all should share a drink on that one! :ale: :beer:

DoubleForte
This sounds like win.

TelQuessir
Don't celebrate too much. It hasn't been implemented in-game, with a custom detonation effect Smile

slapdisease
In regards to implementation, I believe that the people over at the pirate mod have perfected a "harpoon" frig that does the opposite... so if you were to create an in-game ability that targeted all enemy units within a certain radius with an inverted "harpoon" gun, you'd have your repulsor... Just an idea, I never had the patience to learn how to code...

Komo val
As I said anything that can repulse a starship would destroy it also. Graviton weapons are much more realistic. That said, I'll have that drink thank you :ale: :beer:

FinalSeraphim
I don't think komo quite gets what was going on with this whole thing lol..

Jump to Forum